At Warren Park there are many opportunities for children to become physically confident in a wide range of sporting activities, in both lessons and at after-school clubs.
Pupils will develop fundamental movement skills, become increasingly competent and confident and extend their agility, balance and coordination, individually and with others. They will engage in competitive physical activities, in a range of increasingly challenging situations.
Our PE Curriculum aims to:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- ensure children are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage children in competitive sports and activities
- encourage children to lead healthy, active lives
KS1 Specifically, children will:
- master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- perform dances using simple movement patterns.
Pupils will continue to apply and develop a broader range of skills as they move through the school, learning how to use them in different ways and to link them to make actions and sequences of movement. Communication, collaboration and competition are key, as is ensuring an environment where sport is enjoyed. They will develop an understanding of ethos of improvement and be able to evaluate and recognise their own success.
KS2 Pupils will:
- use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- play competitive games, modified where appropriate [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through athletics and gymnastics]
- perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
Swimming and water safety
At Warren Park we children will receive swimming and water safety tuition. This is currently offered in KS2.
In particular, they will:
- swim competently, confidently and proficiently over a distance of at least 25 metres
- use a range of strokes effectively [for example, front crawl, backstroke and breaststroke]
- perform safe self-rescue in different water-based situations.
At Warren Park, we use ‘The Power of PE’ to guide our planning, assessment, and tracking of PE. This ensures excellent provision is delivered at all stages of our pupils’ journeys. We have been awarded the ‘Gold Standard’ by Hampshire for our extra-curricular provision and we aim to maintain a high level of opportunity and competitive nature across the school. We help all children to understand that health and fitness contribute positively to their lives and that there are many social benefits that can be enjoyed through engagement in sport. We encourage competitive activities and our children are keen to celebrate not only their success but also their conduct and performance.